24 May 2014

Beauty in the Bag

From the ripe age of approximately 13 years old, my love for fashion sprouted. Ever since I was little I loved shoes and bags, and kept an extremely wide variety of bags. When I turned 14, I discovered the Birkin Bag, and from that day on, my dream has and will always be to own a Birkin Bag.

On a more biased view, Birkin bags are my all-time favourite items in fashion in the world. From the second my eyes laid eyes on a picture of them, my love for them has blossomed rather largely.

Some of the less fashion educated readers may be wondering, 'What is a Birkin?', have no fear, I bring my readers the history and life of the lovely Birkin bag.

It was the year 1981 when the chief executive of Hermes (apologies for not accenting), Jean-Louis Dumas met Jane Birkin on a flight to London. Having difficulties with her choice of bag, and all contents falling out, Birkin explained her hardships of finding a leather bag suitable for a weekend trip. 3 years later, Dumas designed the Birkin bag especially for her. Since then, the bag has become an icon.

As iconic as the bag has become, the prices of these bags are quite iconic as well. A bag can range from $7,000 to $150,000 depending on materials; in addition, they are extremely scarce and are distributed in Hermes boutiques in limited quantities. All aspects of the bag are worth it nevertheless. Each one may be made to order with various choices from custom hides to colour and to hardware fixtures. A variety of size is also a choice given. Additionally, the bag holds a lock and keys, which can actually be used, each being labeled with a number. On average, the creation of a Birkin takes about 48 hours, as it is hand-sewn, buffed, painted, and polished all in France. Like I said, although extremely expensive, the bag is 100% worth every penny spent.

Shall we admire the beauty of these bags now?


An photograph of the one and only, Jane Birkin with a Birkin



The classic black, leather Birkin



Kourtney Kardashian looking effortlessly gorgeous while out with
an orange Birkin (love it!!!)



A close up of the lock and key, and print of the branding of Hermes



Yet another Kardashian, Khloe, rocking a beautiful yellow Birkin bag



After reading this, I truly hope for you all to appreciate and love the Birkin bag as much as I do. And from the bottom of my heart, I hope one day each and every one of you will be walking the streets with a gorgeous Birkin bag on your arm.


Stay Fierce and Start Saving
Amber xx

No comments:

Post a Comment